Senior Web Developer
Careers at effect
As a Senior Backend Developer you’ll work closely with the design team and client services team to ensure the delivery of scalable, well structured, efficient web applications; working on both new projects built from the ground up using the latest libraries and best practice as well maintaining and improving existing code.
You will be responsible for the scoping and planning of: refactoring existing code, new components and working with other teams to build new websites and solutions for our clients.
The development team work in collaboration with UX/design and client services to maintain and develop our clients websites and web apps. Ensuring the sites are fast, at the forefront of technical innovation, are bug free and provide a great user experience.
We have a great office and very much believe in that the biggest challenges are more easily tackled working as a team. That said remote working also offers many benefits and we are continuing to invest and test ways to be more productive as a remote team. The role offers flexibility around remote working and is open to all.
Key role responsibilities
- In collaboration with the technical teams you will ensure your code is well scoped, monitored, documented, and testable.
- You will also be responsible for tracing bugs across your work and ensuring that suitable tests are set up to avoid future issues.
- You will work with the rest of the team to review both your code and other developers before it goes through a final QA process and into production.
- You will be able to communicate effectively with the wider business and be able to critically assess product requirements and solutions.
- Your job will cover both client and server-side code working with data and server configuration. You will be keen to keep up to date with the latest approaches to development and be able to argue for appropriate technology to be added to the work we produce.
- As an experienced member of the team you are required to support and help develop more junior members of staff develop their skills.
Essential skills and experience
- You are a knowledgeable developer with experience of or exposure to a range of front and backend technologies
- WordPress – Knowledge of WordPress and popular plugins
- REST & SOAP API integrations
- You are fluent in object-oriented PHP; write beautiful optimised object-oriented code
- You are able to work with relational databases such as MySQL
- Configuring & optimising server & hosting environments, including AWS (EC2, RDS, Elasticache, Beanstalk, Lamda, S3)
- You have Experience of using JS frameworks (React, Node, Vue etc)
- You write readable, unit tested code by default.
- You understand the importance of caching for high traffic services.
- You have used version control systems, ideally Git.
- You have experience with Docker and are comfortable working on the command line.
- You are able to communicate technical information to non-technical people as needed
- You are looking for a challenging and rewarding role where you will get to work on a range of projects for high profile clients and have your work used by millions of users
Desirable skills and experience
- BigCommerce, Shopify or other modern e-commerce platforms
- Experience, or awareness of Contentful or other enterprise level CMS solutions
- App development (Phonegap, React Native, App Store & Play Store)
- Own open sourced code on GitHub (and equivalents) either as a contributor or own projects
We are very proud of our team, we only employ the best and we invest in them with…
- Exciting work and a place in a great team
- A very nice office in the heart of Leicester’s Cultural Quarter
- Competitive salary
- 25 days leave plus public holidays with allowance rising inline with service
- A share in our success- every member of staff receives a profit pool bonus at the end of our financial year
- Climate Positive – we offset all your professional and personal carbon emissions to project the planet and our future
- Amazing head office and flexibility to work remotely
- Private medical insurance with fantastic benefits
- Great tools to work with, Apple Laptop, monitor and Herman Miller chair and more
- Annual effect away day – get together with your colleagues to celebrate success and look forward to what’s next (restrictions allowing!)
- Regular team events and socials
- Huge opportunities to learn and develop whether through professional qualifications, exposure to incredible business projects or informal lunch & learns, hosted by your colleagues
Inclusion & Diversity
Effect is focused on being a business that promotes diversity and inclusion in not just our recruitment process but the everything do and the work we create.
Effect is an equal opportunity employer, we will ensure our recruitment process will be free of bias and our workplace is inclusive, positive, free of discrimination and respects all backgrounds and beliefs.
We are continuing to be inclusive in our approach to flexible working, ensuring that we are making adjustments where required and providing our employees the tools and support to enable them to grow and flourish in their careers.
Please complete the application form with your CV and a short introduction, some links to work examples or your GitHub account. We’ll be looking for experience, matching technologies and examples of great code adhering to industry standards whilst utilising the latest tools/frameworks or approaches.